Friday, June 22, 2007

What Is Wrong With Me Sometimes?

Oh, Internet.

You know how I've been dutifully training for the Quad City Marathon for almost two months now?

Yeah. Turns out I can't run that race.

I don't know how I screwed this one up, but we are leaving for Disney World on the 22nd of September and the race is on the 23rd. I could have sworn that Disney was the week before. My reactions included:

Son of a bitch!
Fucking hell!
Crap in a hat!

Then, when I got over huffing all over the place, I started to think about what my options are.

I could run the race as planned, then join the boys in Disney on the 24th. But I really didn't want to do that, because that would mean doing this big, important thing without my favorite cheerleaders there to support me.

We could ALL change our plane tickets to go to Disney on the 24th, missing a couple of days of our trip. But that doesn't seem like a good idea, either. Especially because it's not just the three of us - we're meeting extended family there. It's a whole big thing.

So, yeah: Crap in a hat!

I did come up with a third alternative - run a different marathon. I did some quick research and came up with a plan: run the Des Moines marathon on October 21. Seems like the best option - I'll be able to enjoy Disney World, plus I'll have my boys to support me at the race. I'm disapointed about not doing the QC Marathon because the course is so cool, but it'll be there next year. Besides, I can probably cheer myself up with a Des Moines training t-shirt.

4 comments:

Felicia Schneiderhan said...

Run Detroit! It's in October, and you get to cross the bridge into Canada, run around for a while, then come back through the tunnel. Your certificate includes your "underwater mile" time. And when else are you ever going to hang out downtown Detroit?

Oh man, Betsy...you know what will make you feel better?

Go run!

cherylann said...

I hate it when that happens!!! You could run around Disney/Epcot for a while... *smile*. That Detroit marathon sounds pretty cool!!! We'll be cheering you on whatever you decide to do.

KB said...

What about coming back to do Marine Corps? You could get all the Winterbabies out at various milemarkers so cheer!

newsjunkie said...

Oh bummer! But at least you have something fun to do instead. I'm sure you can find another marathon... and I agree, that Detroit marathon sounds very cool!