Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Screwtape Letters

I read The Screwtape Letters recently for book club. Like many books I've read for various clubs, it's not one I would have chosen. However, in this case, I was not pleasantly surprised by enjoying it.

The concept is really cool. The book is made up of a series of letters that Screwtape, a senior demon, has written to his nephew Wormwood. Wormwood is trying to tempt his "patient," an Everyman, to their side in the battle of good and evil. Sounds fun, right?

Well, it isn't.

Even though the book was short (about 100 pages), I found myself skimming to get through it because it was so verbose. It was incredibly preachy, and it was very clear that CS Lewis was trying to push a Christian agenda in the book. At the same time, it was really boring. I won't be reading this one again.

No comments: