Monday, March 17, 2008

In the Mood

When it came time yesterday morning for me to do my 7 mile run, I was not in the mood.

I wasn't hurt or sick. I wasn't in a bad mood. I just wasn't feeling it. There are days when I cannot get my running shoes on fast enough, I'm so excited to go out and hit the streets. This was not one of those days. I really would have preferred to just lounge around the house.

An unexpected benefit of being busy is that sometimes, you just don't have the luxury of not being in the mood. That seven miler needed to get done yesterday, one way or the other, if I was going to keep on track with my trisko training plan.

And the time to do it, like it or not, was 9:00 yesterday morning. I needed to make sure I had enough time to run, go home, shower, and dry my hair before going with Jack to a friend's birthday party. And if I'd waited until after the party, then who knows if I'd have gotten done or not. I still had to make dinner, give Jack a bath, get gas, buy Easter basket stuff for Jack - oh, and an outfit, fold and put away some laundry, go over weekly schedules with Steve, and hopefully go to the garden show.

If I had waited until I felt like it, I might not have been able to go at all. And when I miss a run - or am even not sure when I'll get a chance to go - it makes me cranky.

So, even though I wasn't in the mood, I went. I was utterly bored for the first mile or so. But then, like always, I turned a corner.

This wasn't a run for the ages. My time was completely average, and I didn't see or do anything exciting. But I did get to experience that virtuous feeling of being the only person out exercising at that moment. And I felt great once it was over, especially knowing I could dive into that birthday cake, guilt free.

Not being in the mood is just not an excuse for me. If I get out there and run, my mood inevitably will change.

1 comment:

Ovens2Betsy said...

I have those kind of days more than I like! But I ALWAYS feel so good after they're done. Yesterday was actually one of those days; I was supposed to do a 4-mile recovery run (at a very easy pace), but I dawdled upon returning home from work. I was to meet a couple of friends for dinner, so I toyed with bagging off the run. But I then laced up my shoes and got my butt out the door. The most amazing part? It was one of the fastest runs I've done in a while!