Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Mrs. Brightside

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside


I'm not seeing the bright side to my injury today. I don't want to think about how it could be worse. To be honest, I'm pretty down.

Sunday will mark two weeks I've gone without running. The pain in my leg is better than it was, but it's not gone. Still there, after almost two weeks of resting.

I am used to being strong and capable. Now I have to walk down the stairs slowly and carefully. I ran a few steps yesterday to catch up with Steve and Jack in the parking lot, and it was very painful. I have a bin of summer clothes that needs to go to the basement. I am afraid that if I try to carry them down myself I will hurt myself, so I am going to have to ask Steve to do it for me. He will, of course, without complaint. But I don't want to have to ask help for something I should be able to do myself without thinking.

I experimented with wearing high heels again, even just low ones. When I'm not in running shoes, I am in heels, but apparently not now. That experiment made me come to the conclusion that it was time to buy some more flats. Flats are cute, and I don't want to look cute. I want to look authoritative and sexy. Ballet flats aren't going to cut it.

My running club has a race in a few weeks, the Pumpkin Dash. There's an 8K, a 4K, and a 1/4 mile costumed kids' race. I've signed Jack up for the kids' race. Today, I was emailing Steve about the possibility of our running the 4K together. It'll be a full month after the half marathon, so that seemed like a good amount of recovery time before easing back into running. He'd help me keep my pace slow and easy, and it would be fun to run it with him. Then I decided not to register now, to play it by ear and see if I am up to it.

The fact that I am wondering whether or not I will be capable of running a slow race of around 2-1/2 miles is really depressing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a hard time for you, I feel for you! Hope your heals up quickly...don't worry about the pumpkin dash, just rest and get better!

newsjunkie said...

Awww I'm sorry! I hope you are able to heal quickly and get back out on the trails soon. I know they miss you!

Aileen said...

I know the feeling, and it sucks. But you're doing the right thing to rest, and you've got to trust that! I think playing it by ear for the pumpkin race is a good thing. You're in my thoughts!

X-Country2 said...

Aww, that is depressing. Hang in there. Soudns like you're doing the right thing by taking care of yourself, and I'm sure you'll come back better than ever.