Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Last one!

Sunday marked my last long run before next week's half marathon trisko. The entire group - both those training for the marathon and for the trisko - ran eight miles. Russ, our coach, told us to run them easy, have fun, and try to run with somebody new.

That sounded like a good idea, so I kept my iPod in my pocket and found a couple of runners to hang out with for eight miles. I'm glad I did. Both women were training for their first marathon, and it was fun to hear what they were thinking about and how excited they were about their first race.

After the run, we had a potluck picnic. I read somewhere that runners have no guilt at the buffet table, and our training group definitely proved that. One guy loaded up his plate with both fried chicken and doughnuts. John, another of our coaches, had a cinnamon roll in one hand, and a beer in the other - a fine Sunday morning breakfast. My own breakfast included a ham sandwich, tuna noodle casserole (surprisingly delicious after an 8 mile run and before 9:00 in the morning), lots of fruit, and cake.

So now, with that last run behind me, I am feeling excited. I have my race day outfit ready to go (featuring a new pair of Wright Socks), have looked at the course map, and am excited to do some shopping at the expo. Let's get this party started.

3 comments:

joyRuN said...

I definitely have no shame in a buffet. None.

I don't quite understand my cousin though, who is meticulous about proper fueling so is careful about what he eats. Defeats the purpose of running to me.

But then again, maybe that's why he can kick my @$$ all over a race course.

Laura said...

I am totally the same with pre-race food. I usually end up eating more calories the night before the race than I burn running the darn thing!

Speaking of which... are you going to hit up the pasta party on Saturday? Would love to meet up!

newsjunkie said...

Have a great run! I'll be thinking of you as I do my 20 on Saturday!