Saturday, July 05, 2008

Have It Your Way

If, like me, you have the glamorous job of being mother to a three-year-old, you spend a tremendous amount of time in public bathrooms. Take today, for example. One trip to Burger King, two trips to the bathroom. The second time, Steve offered to take him, but Jack insisted that I have the honor. I am awesome.

The lid to the wastebasket was broken, a source of endless fascination to Jack. He kept asking me about it - how it happend, who would fix it, and so on. As is often my strategy when barraged with his random questions, I turned it back on him - "Jack, how do you think it got broken?"

He gave the matter some thought, and in the car on the way home, he theorized:

Membe, after everyone was asleep, a monster or a nightmare had a key to Burger King. And then they got in and they sat on the trash can and it broke!


Steve and I agreed that this was a logical explanation, and that was undoubtedly how it happened. Then, we got this exchange:

Roary: Maybe, after Burger King was closed, a monkey and an elephant decided to go in. The monkey used the key to open the door and let the elephant in. Then, the elephant sat on the trash can and broke it.

Jack: That makes no sense, Roary.

6 comments:

M*J*C said...

That's a great story! Sounds like you've got some creative kids!! Awesome!

KB said...

The elephant sitting on the can and breaking it makes no sense, but the monster and nightmare scenario is just so, so obvious. Everyone knows that.

Razz said...

I love turning the question back on them! It's always an adventure to see what they come up with.

Nancy said...

Well, it has to make sense. :D

Are you getting made up words? All of a sudden our 3 y/o is talking in his own language. I hate to squash any creativity but he acts like and gets insistent that we should understand him. This is a new one to me!

Anonymous said...

*Snort* My son is also engaging in conversations, and arguments, with his imaginary friends. The arguments can get quite heated. :)

Lexilooo said...

I adore that story!