Friday, February 24, 2006

Never Let Me Go

No, I didn't finish two novels last night. I'm a little behind in posting my reading, so I'm catching up while Jack naps. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiurgo was on several best of 2006 lists, so I decided to check it out. I knew only a little bit about it - that it dealt with students at a school called Hailsham who were somehow special. I'm glad I didn't know more about it, because I think I experienced the book in a more pure way. Just as the students at Hailsham kind of understood what made them special, I kind of understood. And the characters in the book and I understood the full implications of that only later on. Heavy stuff.

The narrator of the book, Kathy H., has the perfect voice for this story. Kathy has a very matter of fact way of talking about things, using her world's phrases like Carers, Donors, and Guardians as if we all live in her world. It's Kathy's mild tone and world view that make what we realize about her life and the lives of her friends all the more horrifying.

This book gave me a lot to think about. I am planning on passing it to Steve as soon as possible so he can read it and we can talk about it. This is one that's going to stick with me.

No comments: