Friday, February 24, 2006

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life

Encyclopeida of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal is exactly what the title suggests. And, as the book jacket further explains, "I have not survived against all odds. I have not lived to tell. I have not witnessed the extraordinary. This is my story." Just like an encyclopedia, this book is made up of alphabetical entries, but all about mundane things in Amy's life. There's an entry about how can never remember which side of the car her gas tank is on. One about stuff that confused her as a kid. And, my favorite, one in which she tries to use karma as a reason to get out of a parking ticket (it works).

The subjects are mundane, but Amy's observations about them are dead-on and often hilarious. I read the book from A-Z, but in the future, I can imagine picking up the book and dipping into it at random to enjoy an entry or two. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

No comments: