Sunday, May 31, 2009

It's Good to Be Back

As much as I try to be flexible, life can get in the way of running sometimes. This week was especially tough. I wanted to take a few days off after my half marathon trisko. Then I had some busy work days. Then Jack wasn't feeling well. Things kept piling on, and it wasn't until Saturday that I was able to get a run in.

Not running is really bad for my brain. Things were stressful at work, but I know they effected me more than usual. When I started to dream about checking emails from my phone, I knew the crazy was out of control.

On Saturday, I ran a relaxed five miles, It felt fantastic. Today was even better. I got up early and ran ten miles at trisko pace + 20 seconds. I ran from Moline to Rock Island, then across the Mississippi River into Davenport. Then I passed the baseball park and ran along the river to cross at the Arsenal Island bridge. I ended with a challenging run through the campus of Augustana College. It's one of my favorite courses. I felt really fortunate to be able to run in such amazing places.

More importantly, I think my head is back where I need it to be. I feel ready to go back to work tomorrow and am confident I can handle what's thrown at me.

1 comment:

Aileen said...

I hear ya...you know it's bad when you start making mental lists are you're trying to fall asleep!