Thursday, April 10, 2008

I love it when a plan comes together

It's time for another Take It and Run Thursday, this time about training plans. Training plans rock my socks. The very first one I followed (besides the divine wisdom of Coach Quick)was Hal Higdon's beginner's marathon training plan. Following the plan gave me a lot of confidence. I mean, it's Hal Higon; dude knows what he's doing, and if Hal says I should run an easy 3 today, then by Yoda, that's what I'm going to do. Hal's and my goal for my first marathon was simple: to finish. And, sure enough, it worked.

My goals now are more ambitious, and in turn, so are my training programs. I am following Uncle Hal's intermediate program for a trisko. It includes speedwork and weight training, two things that I did not do in the beginning program.

After the trisko, I will start training for the Quad Cities Marathon. I'll use the plan laid out in Dave Kuehls' Four Months to a Four Hour Marathon. Between you and me, Internet, I think that four hours might be too ambitious of a goal for me right now. My first marathon was 4:57, and while I am positive I can do much better, shaving 57 minutes off of my PR is likely a bit much right now. However, I know that I will finish stronger in marathon #2 by adding some track workouts and tempo runs as Kuehls suggests.

I love training runs because they give me confidence that I am doing the right thing to prepare for my races. Even more importantly, they make me feel like a serious athlete (which evidence keeps suggesting I am). I am not just out there running a couple of miles around my house that are pretty; instead, it's a 3 mile recovery run. Or I'm running a tempo run to build speed, or a long run to build endurance.

And when I cross the finish line, I'll be able to say, "I love it when a plan comes together."

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Heck -- I have to shave more than an hour and 7 minutes for a 4-hour marathon! (Of course, I wasn't trying to run fast in either of my first marathons, but still!). Here's keeping my fingers crossed we'll soon be referring to you as "4-hour Betsy"

Marcy said...

I flipped through that book not too long ago! Looked pretty good!

Stuart said...

Failing to plan is planning to fail. Count yourself OUT of that group, you've got this thing nailed!

Nancy said...

It certainly is a nice endorsement to your confidence that you have done what you were supposed to do to be ready. So much better going into something thinking you are probably or might be undertrained.

Of course you are a serious athlete!

Meg said...

Shaving 57 minutes off would definitely put you into super-hero status! Have to check that book out!

Kent said...

I have faith that those 57 minutes is history more than the bad guy in the face of B.A. Baracus' fist. How is your leg doing?

Bill Carter said...

Hi Betsy

When I first started running, I had no idea that there was a whole science about how to train and how to get better. It took me a couple years to kind of figure out what I was doing and that was only with the help of people like Hal Higdon and Bob Glover.

Thanks.